Top 5 Favorite Sunscreens for Children
When it comes to protecting my kiddos and shielding them from sun damage, I tend to reach for the most coverage possible. I often choose mineral (two ingredients being zinc oxide and titanium dioxide) lotions rather than sprays, and I ensure that they are broad spectrum for full coverage. Last month, a lab identified seventy-eight different sunscreens that were contaminated with a known carcinogen, benzene. I then played detective in our home cabinets to weed out any of those well-known products that were unfortunately contaminated. I have compiled my top five favorite sunscreens for children that I tend to use throughout the year.
- Supergoop Sunny Screen SPF 50 Lotion: the perfect consistency broad sprectrum SPF 50 for face and body. This is often my go-to for the entire family – it is formulated with shea butter, sunflower seed oil, zinc oxide, and titanium dioxide. It does not feel sticky upon application and is water and sweat-resistant for eighty minutes.
2. Banana Boat KIDS Mineral UVA/UVB Broad Spectrum SPS 50+: this is definitely a thicker consistency, but great full coverage, especially for my kids with fair skin. It blends nicely into the face and is also water resistant for eighty minutes.
3. Baby Bum Broad Spectrum SPF 50: this is a creamy lotion that is easier to blend, but tends to have more of a medicinal scent. Formulated with coconut oil and shea butter, this is a fantastic soft and soothing option.
4. Babyganics SPF 50+ Sunscreen Lotion: this broad spectrum, plant derived formulated sunscreen is a favorite among so many due to the company’s transparency in ingredients. This is a chemical and mineral zinc oxide formula that is also water resistant for eighty minutes.
5. Coppertone Pure and Simple Baby Sunscreen SPF 50: this hypoallergenic mineral sunscreen is great for sensitive skin and made without fragrance. If your child tends to be fussy about sunscreen on their face or spreading to their eyes, I recommend this gentle lotion.
*** Bonus Option for children with sensitive or reactive skin like eczema: CereVe Baby
I hope this is helpful in your search for the perfect sunscreens for your kiddos. There are so many options on the market, and everyone’s kids have different needs. This list of my top 5 favorite sunscreens can serve as a guide to help you find what works best for your family.